8.6.06

Cinema idiots 23/01/2006

For those that do take the time to read this site and section in the hope that one day they will read something truly momentous then this entry, like many to follow, contains nothing earth shattering I'm afraid. Though I'm obviously grateful of your continued support. No, this is just the continuing rambles that constitute the mediocre life of a average looking, middle aged man.

Last Monday I was pulled over by the police on the way in to work. I'd turned right at a No right turn sign (as to be fair I've done before) and not spotted the police meat wagon in the rear view mirror. I saw the flashing lights and pulled over. The WPC passenger of the van seemed to be out and knocking on my window before I even had time to get out of the car. She asked me to step onto the pavement and then asked why I thought I'd been pulled over. Honesty is always the best policy so I said 'Yes I know I turned right when I shouldn't have' I smiled sheepishly and she smiled, I think grateful that I wasn't going to be difficult. She said she would have to give me a spot fine but with no endorsable points, which was a relief. She was quite cute. Short, blond and nice eyes and also wasn't giving me this condescending, patronising attitude. I'd fessed up and knew I was in the wrong so she had no need to treat me like a child. Her male partner played the strong silent cop routine while he ran a check on my plate.

It was funny but while she wrote out the form I didn't know whether to strike up conversation. I didn't want to act disrespectfully but standing in silence was proving embarrasing so we engaged in some light hearted banter. I considered giving her my website address but wasn't sure how she would take it and was furiously trying to remember if there was anything remotely illegal mentioned on her (nothing apart from whether you could get off a murder charge if you killed chavs by pleading that you were performing a simple civic responsibility). She finished writing out the ticket and asked for my official reply now that she had put forward the official line. I replied 'guilty as charged' which made her laugh and she wrote it down. I took my ticket and thanked them (not really knowing how else to say goodbye) and clambered back into my car. As I pulled off I lowered the window and gave them a friendly wave which they responded to with a flash of the lights. Probably my best ever dealing with our nations constabulary.

Saw the film Dark Water on DVD during the week. It was better than I had expected. It was well written with some strong characters but I had thought it was going nowhere until the last couple of scenes where it genuinely unnerved me. It had built a slow, depressing tale but I did think Pete Postelthwaites accent was a bit hammy and got in the way of understanding his character. A good film and one that I enjoyed watching.

Went to the dentists on Friday for a filling which had fallen out a week before. I'll be honest here but I hadn't been to the dentist for about 7 - 8 years. This doesn't mean I'm some yellow toothed, coffin breathed, deliverance like hick it's just that money was always a little tight and I never had a toothache. I had a few dentists who put me through the mill when younger so with no toothache and limited funds there was hardly an incentive to go. Anyway I went for my filling. They're talking about doing a crown which could cost anything between £300 - £500 but I'm not sure. I had some questions and although we got on well, they were ladies so of course they would! they still didn't put me at ease about the procedure and also didn't have a book of previous jobs so I could see the quality of their work. They did the filling which was quick and painless but not having had a mouth numbing injection for some years it did seem to take an age before sensation and, more importantly, taste returned to my mouth.

The weekend was relaxing with pleasant lay in's and bit of food shopping. I did the producer of my driving documents at the police station which was difficult to negotiate. I couldn't find where I was supposed to go, there was some kind of delicatessan style board but no tickets and I eventually managed to speak to someone who agreed that it was confusing.

Went to the cinema on sunday to see Jarheads. Before the film started a rather unpleasant couple decided to sit in the middle of a row in seats that weren't theirs. A group of 8 came along politely asking to move as they were in their seats. They received a tirade of abuse from these two pieces of scum and the gang scuttled off, bar two girls who stuck their ground. They went and got a member of staff who also asked them to move and received another verbal battering. The woman eventually decided to get up and as she walked past the poor girl threw her popcorn all over her which ended up going over about three rows and including me. I really felt for this girl, she shown the courage to stand up to these two shits and I thought she deserved recognition so while she waited for her friends to return I tapped her on the leg (I was sitting down at the time) and said bravo , I'm with you and you did the right thing. She thanked me and I made a special point of giving her a reassuring/congratulatory smile when I left the cinema. She was quite a honey but the exiting crowd had me pushed out the auditorium before my eyes could take in anymore.

The film was ok. It was about the tedium of war and I guess as the director was trying to achieve it left you wishing there had been a decent action scene but of course for these particular soldiers inaction was what they had to endure so it was therefore an accurate portrayal. Entertaining though and a good way to end the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home