8.6.06

The double quarterpounder 20/02/2006

I know you are on tenterhooks, desperate for your latest hit of my news and I'll try not to disappoint. The highlight of the last six days being a culinary explosion of taste so please read on. 14th Feb was hell getting out of the front door due to the mound of red envelopes, balloons, flowers and undies but I managed.

I was struggling with a flu/cold thing which naturally would have felled any normal man but for me just reminded me of the simple pleasures of stifling inopportune sniffs and the joy of attempting to eat when your nose is bunged up. Always an interesting debate to see whether when you are chewing a mouthful of food what is more important, satisfying the hunger in your stomach or the need for air in your lungs. Lungs normally win forcing a head tip back (to avoid food falling out), open mouth and draw in of breath, before returning to chewing. Always best to eat alone when you have a cold I think. Weekend was ok. A little shopping for some trousers on Saturday for the following saturdays solo trip to HHA in Brixton and then it was off to a friends wedding reception.

I'd asked my brother to tag along to keep me company as I knew nobody else apart from the bride. We suited up and headed off to Richmond Park. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get there, including an unnecessary trip over the Thames, and we eventually rolled into the reception at 9.30. We grabbed a few drinks at the bar and then chatted to the bride. She's a lovely girl who I used to work with and I do hope she'll continue to be happy as she deserves it. The venue was great and Richmond Park looks a lovely place that might be worthy of re-investigation when it's sunny. We did feel a little bit like wedding crashers and seemed to miss out on the food which disappeared whilst chatting to the bride. Not knowing anyone meant I wasn't up for any dancefloor displays of stunning choreography and scintilatting eroticism so bro and I simply people watched. Weddings are nice things, most people are happy and it's good to see the older folks getting up and shaking their thang. We gave it about 45 minutes, munched some excellent wedding cake and then headed off. It seems out of order but to be honest I wanted to see her at the reception and wish them luck more than anything else.

Bro and I were a little hungry and decided that a 24 hour drive thru McDonalds would fill the hole. Headed to the one on the Old Kent Rd whose queue was just ridiculous. By this time it had adopted 'do or die' mission status and if it meant driving all the way to Thurrock then so be it. I fancied one and I knew my bro was hungry. We went through the Blackwall Tunnel after scouting the one at the Greenwich Peninsula, which was closed, and just before I joined the A13 I thankfully remembered the McD's at Canary Wharf. We studied the menu and I decided to copy my bro in a double quarterpounder with cheese meal and 9 chicken mcnuggets. We pulled up in a bay looking at the towers, John Barry playing on the CD and prepped our waiting legs with napkins, sauce placement etc. The double 1/4pounder was revealed and oh my god!
Now this is a burger. It was heavy, it was dense, it was juicy and christ did it taste good. Screw Morgan 'super size me' Spurlock I thought as I bit down into the succulent meat, cheese and bun. My brother was even more animated and with the moans and groans of pleasure coming from the car we could well have been dogging. You could only make one or two dunks in the sauce pot (BBQ for bro, Tom for me) before it was too large to reach any further down. Combine this with the french fries and the freshly cooked nuggets and we were in big M heaven. There's nothing like bonding with your car than with a drive thru meal and utilising of the cup holders and internal lights. My belly was full and we were both contented. We must have spent about 4 1/2 hours in my car that night but it was worth it to see my friend and also to spend some good time with my bro.

Checked out Aeon Flux at the cinema on Sunday. It was ok, nothing special but if forced I'd rather sit through that again than Munich. Gonna try to get back to the gym this week and at least make a start on tapping my energy reserves before next Sat night

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home