8.6.06

Trance me up buttercup 27/02/2006

Returned to the swimming pool last Monday and it was good to be back. Nice to be reminded of the ridiculously treacherous walk from the changing 'village' (communal changing area) to the pool. I attempt to cross this hostile ground at the slowest, steadiest walking pace imaginable and hold the railing if possible yet I still feel as unsteady as a one legged, pissed up giraffe. I've nearly slipped over on almost every occasion and am baffled as to how such a slippery when wet surface could pass health and safety. I'd also forgotten how regularly my goggles steam up (not due to gawping at the scattered arse, though I am sometimes guilty of this) or the people that refuse to adhere to the basics of lane etiquette. It's quite simple really, you swim up and down the lane in an anti-clockwise fashion and if the person in front is slow (which they invariably are) then you go at their speed or hang back for a gap to develop. But no, here we have the arrogant arses who like to blast up and down the middle of the lane when it isn't wide enough oblivious to the number of head on clashes that are only avoided by other people violenty swerving or suddenly stopping. Selfish bastards.

Spent Wednesday evening in the company of my hairdressers who I've been going to for nigh on 12-13 years. I was one of their first customers and one of their most loyal it would seem. They are a lovely couple but this was the first time they had invited me round for dinner and what a meal. She knows I like Spaghetti Bolognaise and what a feast was laid out. The biggest bowl of bolognaise sauce for us to freely dive into, my own little bowl of grated cheddar cheese, a separate bowl of spaghetti and hot, oven fresh bread rolls with a block of garlic butter. Following this was a yummy chocolate cake. The best part though was the opportunity to have a really good chat with them. We know a lot about each from the hour or so that I spend in there every 5-6 weeks for the last how many years but this was the first chance to have a really good, non interrupted chat. I had gone round to play on the guys X360 but we talked so much that come 1.00 am it was time for me to head home. Maybe I'll get another chance soon to head round for some xbox and Italian.

Friday came at the end of a long and draining week and I looked forward to watching the semi finals of the ice hockey. I had planned to enjoy a fine supper of fish and chips from my local chippie (which is excellent) but an impromptu double 1/4 pounder meal at lunchtime, that my endless jabbering had encouraged office colleagues to try, meant I was full up come the evening. Watched the hockey and but then just couldn't get to sleep. I lay awake for over an hour before in the end frustration got the better of me and I got up and dressed and proceeded to watch about six episodes of Angel from series five that a friend had leant me. When there was none left to watch I clambered back into bed at about 5.30 am. Strange, I normally go to bed late and do have difficulty heading off to sleep but rarely do I get this at the end of the week.
Got Black (xbox game) on saturday along with some basic provisions. With nothing else to in the afternoon I whacked up the sub woofer and played my new game. It's pretty impressive. Granted it doesn't have the depth or longevity of a Halo or Fable but the graphics are great, the action is fast, furious and cathartic and the sounds of gunfire, explosions and destruction are outstanding. A great feature is that it allows you to play a custom soundtrack from the Xbox's hard drive so I loaded up the film score from Crimson Tide. Now this is quality gaming. Stalking around to this fantastic, powerful, inspirational music whilst blowing seven shades of shit out of virtually everyone and everything is deeply satisfying and a great reliever of stress.

Headed out later that night to Brixton Academy for HHA (Hard House Academy) which plays every quarter. I can never be arsed to take a coat or anything into these dance clubs when I go clubbing. Queing for the coat room just does my head in and I'd rather freeze walking from my car and waiting to get in rather than have the chore of waiting for my ticket and having to pre-empt leaving by about 20 minutes just to get it back. Amazing though that every time I do go it happens to be the coldest night on record practically. Anyway queued up for my guest list entrance which in the rather chilly atmosphere reminded me to just buy the tickets in future so I could walk straight in. I had been to HHA in Oct and was really quite disappointed. The music had been just too hard with little or no tunes and I had been a bit wary of returning because of this.

Headed in, grabbed a red bull and a bottle of water and sat up and to the left rear of the dancefloor while I waited to let the rythmn get inside me. Brixton Academy is a great venue for this type of event. It's got a big stage and a high ceiling with ornate boxes and carvings around the stage and a huge seated circle area for when you get tired. There are some bars to the back of the main arena and from here the carpeted flooring slopes down to the wooden suspended dancefloor. The lighting and sound is always excellent and being able to see the DJ's on the stage and the huge sweep of fellow dancers moving up and down like a swelling ocean really gets the blood pumping. I moved down onto the periphery of the dance floor, conscious of being on my own and just attempting to push through that uncomfortable first 10-15 minutes of dancing when you feel like everyone is watching and your feet are stuck in treacle. Rob Tissera came on at 1.00 who I've seen at a few Tidy weekenders and wasn't that impressed with. Got to hand it to him though he ripped it up and even though I'd been dancing for about half an hour I ran with him all the way through his set. Proteus, who I'd primarily come to see, came on at 2.00 and delivered as I knew he would. He played some old and some new but all with great tunes, wicked trancy breaks and some banging beats. What a legend. His energy in bouncing round the stage really rubs off on the audience, well me certainly, and at one point he clambered onto these speakers and was just punching the air in time with the beat. I kept up with him with my fair share of hand waving and occasional whoops and yells. He finished and I grabbed another red bull and a water as I was truly parched and beginning to feel the effects of my dancing and lack of previous gym time.

I'd heard a lot about Andy Whitby but couldn't say he was memorable from the times I'd seen him. Well this time he certainly made an impression dropping a host of classics including Heavens Cry and one of my alll time favourites 'Lost in Love'. I think there was certainly a scream and a roar of 'what a tune' from me when he dropped the needle on that baby. He played this banging mix of Prodigy numbers which was fabulous. My legs and back were beginning to feel the strain but New Energy Collective followed him and they were outstanding as well. They dropped tune after tune of increasing frenzy that helped lift my fading body to new heights of dancefloor nirvana. It's amazing when at these events what a difference it makes being surrounded by others who are really going for it and similarly pumped rather than the sidestep shuffle crowd. You really do feel a sense of belonging and connection with others when you witness so many hands in the air, washed over by sweeping lights and lasers and can feel the anticipation in the crowd growing as a trancey break rises to an exploding crescendo and an accompanying roar. 5.00am came and although there was one more set to go I was truly fucked.

Headed back to my car, ignoring the cold, offers of ghana cabs and flyer distributors. Drove back listening to some relaxing John Barry and contemplating whether to hit McDonalds. I know this will make me sound a fat bastard but I had only eaten a couple of bacon rolls for lunch and the need for some meat, salty chips and a sweet drink was overwhelming. Dispelling thoughts of being a slob and convincing myself that my 4 1/2 hours of dancing had more than earned it I headed to the big M in Docklands. Pulled up to the drive thru counter, requested my meal and was told they were only now serving breakfast. I was crest fallen. Everything was set up for a good ole munch (music, fatigue and desire) and now I was being offered a lowly McMuffin. I thanked the chap and drove home where I settled for a quick bath, a slice of marmite on toast and a glass of milk before slipping under the duvet at around 7ish.
I was quite proud of myself really. I may be 34 and haven't been to the gym for about 3-4 months but I literally danced my arse off for over four hours on just three red bulls and three bottles of water with no drugs. It's just a shame that I don't have a bunch of clubbing buddies. I'm not blaming my existing mates but I think I'd be good company to do this kind of clubbing with. I'm sensible, happy to drive and can keep up with virtually anyone on the dancefloor. I've been on the Tidy board for over two years now but I just ain't a face on there and it seems many go to chat and dance a little whereas I just can't help but wanna get down. I really would love though just for once to spend some time dancing with a real, cybered up clubbing honey who knows how to dance and wants to be hugged during the trancey breakdowns. Even better though would have been to have someone to head home with. I felt really great after the dancing and would have loved to have finished the evening with some gentle, tender sex with someone special. A thoroughly enjoyable night and just like the previous HHA did in Feb 2005 this really fired back up my interest in going clubbing again.

Watched the ice hockey final on Sunday. It was a tight game and we were supporting the Finnish as they were the underdogs and had never won an ice hockey gold before. They came very close and were very strong but sweden scored a blinder of a third goal at the beginning of the third period and try as they might, including some herculean last minute efforts the Finns just couldn't level the score. Set my bro up to play some black, which he thoroughly enjoyed and later watched the closing ceremony of the Olympics.

I know a lot of people grumble about the sponsorship, corruption and greed of the olympics but they are special. I always seem to miss the ceremonies though I can remember staying up to watch the Los Angeles one in '84 where they had a rocket man come blasting into the stadium. The stadium in Turin for this ceremony did look lovely in the darkness and some of the shots when they turned the lights down and waving torches sparkled in the crowd were mesmerizing. At one point they had these performers who were being kept suspended in the air by these huge air fans and it was quite a sight. A guy in white suspended about 50ft off the ground holding this billowing white silk tube which extended for another 30ft while the rest of the stadium was shrouded in darkness was really great and the moment when a delicate piano piece echoed round as the flame slowly fluttered out was surprisingly moving. Then the fireworks started up and the 'wrap' party was moving into gear. They have their doubters but I think the Olympics are a good showcase for the human race. You see many personal truimphs, overcoming of hurdles and obstacles and people really striving to excel in a sport that they have devoted many hours if not years to perfecting. Couple that with some breathtaking ceremonies, fireworks, organization and spectacle and I think you have something to be proud of. Yes it might cost a fair packet but I think the world treating itself to a huge party once every four years isn't a bad thing. Watching them certainly makes me wish that I could have done something or been good enough to have been an olympian, to have represented my country and to have tasted the heady atmosphere of being with so many other competitors from every nation around the globe. It's easy to dismiss but when you look at the bigger picture of so many people united in competitive sport I find it quite humbling.

Oh well, time to sign off. Apologies if that was particularly tedious but I wouldn't want you to go to the effort of logging on for a few measly paragraphs would I. Until the next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home