9.6.06

Boneless box deluxe 25/04/2006

As I feared this last week was a little quiet. After the high jinks of the previous week it was hardly surprising really. Work was quietish, evenings were late doing bits and bobs on the net and I didn't make any time for the gym. It was a short week though what with the Easter holiday Monday.

Friday had a spike though as due to a work colleague's birthday we attempted the new KFC boneless box deluxe. Eight pieces of chicken, two boxes of popcorn chicken, four portions of chips, two large sides and a bottle of Pepsi. I'm probably creating the idea that I'm some junk food eating, bloated monster. I'm not but I'm a simple man who isn't a food facist and believes there is always a time and place for chicken. The time was lunch, the place was work. We got two between four of us, we gorged on fried chicken, chips and soft drink and it was a guilty pleasure. I still prefer McDonalds though so the Big M will still be in business, apart from of course if I'm in the USA and close to an In'n'Out burger.

Seemed to achieve very little on Saturday and with my sleeping patterns seeming to be at best shot to shit and at worst non existent I grabbed some Z's in the afternoon with a litte nap (is the first sign of getting old?) before heading out to see Scary Movie 4. I hadn't expected much but thought if I got just one good laugh like I have in the others, the gammy armed Hanson character in the second film is just hilarious "watch my fanny", then I would be happy. I got some sniggers but where as some of the others poked fun at other films this seemed to just blatantly copy the films. At some points I wondered if I was watching a complete remake or a comedy. Disappointing.

Sunday I watched Crash (the 2004 film). It was good and the interweaving stories all worked well with some good acting and script work but I felt it peaked in the middle and then kind of petered out. The bits where Matt Dillon rescued Thandie Newton, the black prevented his car being jacked and then lost it with the police officers and the crescendo with the hispanic locksmith and his daughter, which almost brought me to tears. Maybe this was too much of a high though because the ending with the telegraphed reformed gangsta felt a little forced. A very good film nonetheless and I'm glad I saw it.

Followed this with my legendary Spaghetti Bolognaise which still delivers and then a visit to the DVD archive for a showing of Aliens. I do like this film and there is a lot of really classy stuff. The space marines, the numerous quotes (most of them from Hudson), the sentry guns, the outstanding death scene of Vasquez and Gorman and the whole powerloader/queen alien scrap. The trouble is I never really liked Ripley's character. I know she had to be tough and couldn't be all frilly but I always felt her a little too arrogant and the character of Newt grated one's nerves a couple of times. Kids in action films don't always go and even directors like James Cameron can drop the ball and let them descend into annoying brats (see True Lies, sweet jesus, couldn't she have just fallen off the crane). Stayed up late on Sunday night to watch some World Superbikes and even despite hitting the sack at 3.00am with a work day to follow couldn't get to sleep. The most restful patch I got was the five minute snooze when the alarm went off!

Another bank holiday weekend approaching so fingers crossed that there will be a slightly more interesting posting for you guys to read next week

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home