8.6.06

Film geek and oysters 04/04/2006

Decided to give the swimming a miss last week. I felt a bit bad but the amount of chlorine they had put in the previous week to maybe counter the amount of piss in the pool as well as making the water cloudy (I initially thought it was the goggles) rendered my eyes bloodshot like a vampire. They were sore all week so thought it wise not to hammer them again. It did mean I didn't get to see the girl in the black swimsuit which was a shame. I made up for it though with trips to the gym on both Tuesday and Thursday so hopefully redressed the balance.

Popped round to my hairdresser friends on Wednesday. Had another cracking meal, christ she can cook and right now I wish I'd eaten more though I did wolf down two loaded jackets skins and two large servings of yummy lasagne. Trifle to follow along with tales of Vegas and Florida. The former I've been to as you know but the latter I haven't and have always dreamed about going to since I was about 14. I like my thrill rides and enjoy reading up about Orlando, so really enjoy hearing peoples exploits. After this we retired to the living room and fired up the X360. We loaded up Ghost Recon and plugged into Xbox live. I'd been looking forward to seeing this and it didn't disappoint. The graphics and sound were all top notch but it was the concept of playing against others over the internet which was truly amazing. Being able to speak to gamers from around the world in real time as I attempted to join them in killing the enemy was a surreal experience. When I took the controls my heart was pumping like a train and I had a little of the nervy shakes due to being a scared of looking a prat in front of all these other people. My kills seemed to taste all the more delicious knowing that they were controlled by an actual person rather than scripted AI. Apart from the delays in waiting for others to join the game it was dangerously addictive and I could see that if I was to invest in one along with a broadband connection I could lose evenings and weekends with alarming regularity. I think it's just amazing that you could be playing with so many different individuals from so many different corners of the globe who are all in such different time zones. Man, just thinking about it could take hours let alone actually playing the machine. Maybe I'll buy one, take a week off work, invest in some extra thick underpants, seven 2 litre bottles of coke, three bags of frozen chips and a packet of grated cheddar cheese. Now that's a holiday that dreams are made of!

We'd seen in the office a trailer for a movie called Film Geek. It's only a small independant film but the trailer was hilarious and reminded many in the office of me. The guy in question is an obsessive compulsive who loves films, lusts after girls but never gets anywhere and has his own website (can't see the connection myself). The tagline is 'His knowledge is your misery' which is brilliantly clever and original and was so liked by my colleagues that they had printed a black t-shirt which says 'Geek' on the front and 'My knowledge. Your misery' on the back for me. Great, hope the creators won't be mad but imitation is the highest form of flattery. Anyway we were so impressed that I thought I'd write to the director as he has a contact button on the website. I told him that that we were looking forward to his film and just offer him some support. He amazingly responded the next day thanking me for my "infectiously giddy email that meant a lot". Check out the trailer on Apple.com/trailers if you get a chance.

Had my first Oyster on Friday and I was a little unnerved. My boss had bought in a selection of sea food as punishment for the burps that I do in the office to wind her up. Oyster, Octopus, Cod Roe paste and Cockles. Everyone told me I had to simply swallow the oyster and not chew it. It looked disgusting, like some mucusy membrane of over-chewed gelationous snot. I had a couple of put to my mouths and then pull away but in the end I just threw it down. Naturally I couldn't swallow it as it was too big but after nearly gagging decided to chew and swallow normally.

Because everyone had said don't chew, just swallow I assumed that biting into it might puncture some kind of oily sack. Thankfully it didn't but it still didn't stop it tasting like the smell of the sea. The octopus was chewy but bearable, the cod roe a non descript paste and the winkles unpleasantly tough and chewy like a walrus's toe nail clippings. It was fun to try something new but none of them will be consumed again.

Watched the Haunting of Emily Rose which was ok. I don't normally like these possession kind of films as my mind finds it hard to get round something else being inside a person but the mix of horror, well more suspense, and courtroom drama worked well. Not brilliant but I didn't regret seeing it and didn't consider it a waste of two hours.

Spring is certainly here and I confess to feeling really good when I jumped in the car to go to the gym on Saturday and felt the warmth of the sun in the car. Shades on, arm on the window and it felt good making me look forward to the barmy warmth of an English summer.

Out on saturday night at a pretensious venue for a friend of a friends birthday. It was full of a large selection of either jacketed arses in loafers or vain, over made up girls. I'd never seen so much bronzer in one place. Although I did a chunk of people/totty watching from afar when at the bar I didn't want to look any girl in the eye. Mainly for not wanting to see the look of contempt in their eyes or them to assume that my looking was adding to their already swollen ego. Needless to say that there were no recipients of my card.

I'm quite a chatty person but I seemed to develop a case of stage fright and was reluctant to engage in any serious banter with the others who were there for the birthday. I don't know why but I feared I'd end up talking about trivial, pointless shit with people who didn't really want to speak to me, who would be looking for someone better to talk to and on topics that were instantly forgettable. Thankfully though after throwing myself in, I got chatting to someone about films, books and Vegas. We moved onto someone's house afterwards where I had a nice chat with the host about her worldwide travel adventures and the Planet Earth programme on BBC1 which really is stunning and has been a genuine television highlight after the last few weeks.

Finished the night with a double cheeseburger with egg and a cup of tea from the tea hut on Blackheath Common. Always a great way to finish an evening. Freshly cooked, hot, juicy burger served with a smile by the friendly staff that work there and the first mouthful of tea after the burger is pure bliss. Relaxing with the tea with a contented belly and some music playing is condusive to some enjoyable late night reflective rambles with your friend/s.

Watched Lost in Translation on Sunday. I'd thought about seeing it for some time. Um, I was a little disappointed. I liked that it gave hope to an old bastard like me seeing someone much younger being attracted to an older person and also the concept of two lonely people meeting up. I didn't though warm to Scarlet's character. She seemed to just flit around in her knickers, was a little acidic in her early interaction with Bill and was a little mean spirited towards the american female actress. The concept of Bill Murrays loveless marriage was well handled but I felt that long sequences showing Tokyo were inserted to pad out the script and there wasn't a great deal of consistency. The two main characters spent two nights together yet come the third seemed to make no effort to contact each other. In reality surely they would have seen each other again or at least been thinking of each other but I felt they put in Bill Murray sleeping with the hotel singer to elicit a feeling of disappointment from the audience towards his character in that he'd acted like a typical man. He had displayed a chivalrous attitude towards Scarlet so his sleeping with the singer seemed contrived and out of place.

The Formula One race in Melbourne was incident filled with the safety car called out on four occasions and exciting to watch. Finished the weekend with another film (I'm no geek!), K-19 Widowmaker which was better than I'd expected and presented a good tale of heroism from the interesting viewpoint of being about about a russian submarine.

So there you go, I received some nice emails from people this week telling me that they liked my site which is always great to read and naturally to whom I replied with thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home