9.6.06

Local election and sleepbank deposit 09/05/2006

Back to the office with a spring in my step. It's great to have a long weekend but it does throw out my natural order. For a start I didn't go swimming on Monday which formed a rather pathetic excuse for not going to the gym the remainder of the week.

Tuesday was Lost night as the second series was starting on Channel 4. I was trying not to get excited but sometimes elevating something you mildly enjoy into event is not a bad thing, especially if it's a normal weekday evening. I watched the final episode with my brother and girlfriend last year and we gathered around the tv again, belly full of pizza and a glass of coke in hand. It delivered as far as I was concerned. It gave answers, it was satisfying and even though it created other questions I didn't feel robbed or cheated. Some of the mid season episodes last year (and the same may happen this year) seemed to offer little and although I tried to take on board what I was being shown I would find myself watching the clock and realising that I wasn't going to get anything substantial in that episode. Don't get me wrong I enjoy being captivated and looking forward to things but watching those episodes I got frustration rather than satisfaction.

One thing that was quite cool, and was probably repeated in the US, was during the advert breaks there were a couple of strange adverts that showed stuff about making the world a better place and had images of DNA, Jesus etc. Initially I wondered whether it was some kind of teaser campaign for the The Da Vinci Code which is due to open soon at the cinemas. Lo and behold in the third episode they introduced the Honso foundation and the next advert break the advertisement was repeated. It was for the honso foundation and even gave a telephone number which I called to hear a Honso Foundation recorded message. That to me is pretty cool and I was impressed with that clever stunt. Anyway I was pleased with the viewing experience and enjoyed what I watched. Ok it's no Angel but when there isn't a great deal on TV to get excited about having something is good.

Wednesday was busy at work, especially as I was off the following day. I hit Sainsburys at about 11.15pm that night to pick up some provisions for the next day. Along with my brother I was working with an old work colleague as a polling clerk in the local elections. The previous year she had gotten my brother and I jobs working as vote counters which was different and paid (which is always good). This year we stepped up to work in a polling office all day with her. Even though it was going to be an early start I still felt really good wandering around the shops. I might have been having to get up at 4.30am but it was still a holiday and I was going to enjoy the slow meander round the deserted shop and amble back to the car. I headed home, naturally feeling good after any form of food purchase. I think there's something about my purchase glow when buying food. It just gives you this feeling that 'hell the shops could burn down for a few days and I'd be alright jack'. Got in, made rolls and prepared provisions. I didn't hit the sack until 2.30am and was up two hours later. It was amazing to be up so early, it be so light and the roads be so empty. Naturally I was over cautious of the traffic and arrived at the church hall in Tunbridge Wells at 6.00am. We had thought of stopping to grab some nosebag, but naturally everywhere was shut. Our friend arrived soon after and we set up the church hall which was excellent. It was less than a year old, with plenty of windows, a large kitchen (which we were allowed to use) which had a big fridge and constant, boiling water for the manufacture of tea! We opened the doors at 7.00am and remained open until 10.00 pm. It was a long day but we amused ourselves, we chatted, we munched, bro and I played some scrunched up paper tennis and later used the circular plastic lid of a tub of mini viscounts to play frisbie (nice work bro). It was a lovely sunny day so at least we had a very British way of breaking the conversational ice with people coming in.

I had a brief moment of excitement when I saw a car pull up outside of someone who been involved in a non serious car accident. She wasn't hurt but the car was dented at the front. She was blonde and looked quite cute. She seemed in control and was on the phone to people. After pestering from my friend I went to investigate and offer help but managed to return to the office with her mother to get two cups of water as she was on the mobile to the AA. What a casanova! She did come in to sit down with her mum while they waited for the AA guy to arrive but in typical girl fashion managed to mention her boyfriend in like the first sentence she uttered to me. Yeah ok, I get it, you've got a man. It wasn't like I was leering or being over friendly but I guess some girls have to establish the boundaries asap. Our friends partner brought in fish'n'chips at around 6.00ish which was mucho yummy and powered us through to 10.00. Packed up and then off to the town hall for a couple of hours of counting. Although there was a good smattering of honeys in the counting hall and three particular foxes in our 8 man section naturally we were plonked next to the three largest, most un-inspiring females. Ok I was hardly going to seduce the three foxes but someone could have cut us a little slack and sat us next to them. Who knows at least we could have offered them some red bull and received a pleasant smile for our efforts. Easy come, easy go eh! Drove home and must have eventually hit the sack around 1.30ish.

It had been a long day and I had prudently booked the following day off work but we were busy and short staffed so I headed in. I didn't mind, I wasn't grumpy. I love my job and the people I work with and for and if having this job means having to go in, then it's a small price to pay. They did make up for it though with the offer of 'hot lunch' and you know how much I love that. We went for Pizza and I gorged myself on a thin crust meat feast with mushroon. Oh christ it was good. Juicy, succulent, a little messy and very filling. I wasn't tired come the evening and worked a little on my site before eventually heading home to miss the friday night commute. I had nothing planned for Saturday and decided (actually decided on Thursday morning) that I was going to have a shameless, self indulgent monster session sleeping/dozing/snoozing in bed that day. I did, and am a little guilty in admitting that it was until 5.00pm! Fuck it, I needed it and maybe I could have used the time more productively by learning a new language or doing something about world poverty but I wanted to take it easy.

Treated myself to some more excellent fish'n'chips, hell I'd already acted like a slob so why not continue the descent into hell, and a couple of DVD's. Watched the Lord of War with Nic Cage which was ok. A lot like Blow with Johnny Depp, but not quite as good. Also watched on TV American Werewolf in London, what a great film that still is. Funny, entertaining, sexy and scary. The bit where they realise they have walked off the path and the werewolf starts howling is still a tad unnerving.

Half watched a lack lustre F1 on Sunday and then a frankly woeful Brothers Grimm on DVD. I don't know why I gave Terry Gilliam another chance, his films are just out there and usually populated by either atrocious or annoying over acting. Considering it was about French people in occupied Germany (or whatever) the accents were just all over the place. Piss poor. Top Gear made a welcome return that evening and as usual was a lot more entertaining. This was followed by Tears of the Sun, which I think is under-rated. It's a good film with some great action scenes although some of the bits with the african people are a little ham fisted but I guess the subject forced the studios to act like this.

After such a sloth like weekend I hit the pool with renewed vigour on Monday. The amount of girls in their was impressive but in turn depressing. Summer is coming and they are all getting in shape. It acts as motivation I suppose though I do get angry at myself for admitting that their presence bothers me. Well not bother me, but it makes me doubt my appeal to them and remind me that I won't get close to any of them. The frustration does create energy which allows me to swim harder so I guess there is a positive in there! Went to the supermarket afterwards with a commitment to buying only small meals and a lot more vegetables. I'm going to ensure that I head to the gym on Wednesday and again on Saturday. Naturally I've got to ensure I'm tuned into Trance fm for A state of Trance on Thursday as I missed the last one doing the election. Saying that the CD that I ordered turned up and it is brilliant. 82 tracks mixed over two hours (two discs) ensuring that it moves forward apace without getting bogged down in songs. Really, really good and it will be getting much play in the car. I must look at ordering his new album as well.

Oh and finally this week is E3 in Los Angeles. As some may know this is the yearly computer gaming exhibition and this year there are rumours of a trailer of Halo 3. No need to say that I am pissing my pants about this so fingers crossed that it delivers. Adios compadres.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home